Wednesday, April 14, 2021

The Very First Audition - Part 2

(To read Part 1 - click here.)

Part 2

As I followed along in a massive line of women toward my very first Disney audition, I was fascinated by the secrets backstage.  We filed past buildings full of employees working on ride vehicles and people painting props. There was a building that just did laundry. Then a warehouse filled with parade floats! I couldn’t take it in fast enough.

As we walked into the rehearsal hall, a large group of women were walking in the opposite direction toward the parking lot. A couple women were wiping away tears. I heard one woman on the phone say, “I got cut.” Already? They had already sent all those women home? This was crazy.

We stepped into the rehearsal hall. It was a big, empty room with hard wood floors, three white walls, and a mirror on the fourth wall. It had the classic rehearsal hall smell, I was home. I followed along as everyone put their backpacks and applications along the back wall and sat in a group on the floor. How did they all know what to do?

I felt so lost, but the energy in the room was incredible. The room was full of excitement, tension, fun, anticipation... It felt amazing.

A woman introduced herself. I have no idea who she was because I was so overwhelmed. She sounded like the peanuts teacher to me. After chatting for a bit, they asked us to stand and spread out. Then they taught us a very easy routine that only lasted maybe 10-15 seconds.

As we went along, I couldn’t help but get caught up in the routine. My arms swung perfectly, my feet did exactly what they were supposed to do and the smile on my face couldn’t hide my heart. This was my space.

Then the choreographer said something confusing, “Ok great. Now that you have it, please line up.” Line up? Where? Why? What?

Again, everyone somehow knew exactly what was happening. They all lined up in two lines along the side wall facing backwards. Then the choreographer started to count, “5...6...7...”. I knew when she got to “8” dancing was supposed to start, but who? Were we all going to start? Then she said “8” and the first two girls start moving from the back corner to the front corner diagonally across the floor.

Every two 8 counts another two girls would start moving across the floor. As we got to the end of the diagonal there was a choreographer who would send you to the front corner or the back corner. What did this mean?

After a few minutes it was my turn. I forced myself to ignore the choreographer standing there analyzing my every move. Instead I felt every move. I lived in every movement. I shot energy out of every limb. My face could not stop smiling. This was so me. I disappeared into that routine.

When my turn was done and I reappeared back in the rehearsal hall, the choreographer was directing me to a small group in the front corner. The women already standing in that corner smiled at me like we were already friends. When all of the women were done dancing, a Disney employee walked over to the large group in the back corner and said, “Thank you so much for coming out today. That is all we will need from you today. Please come back to another audition.” I watched as they all pick up their backpacks and headed out. But not me, now what?


(Part 3- click here.)


No comments:

Post a Comment